Some noteworthy brands that offer safe and nourishing lotions are Honest Company, Dr. Bronners and The Naked Bee. Be leery of big names that are popular, especially around the holidays. It’s also interesting to see what mega-companies own some smaller ones… like Burt’s Bees (Clorox!).
Anyway, so the recipe! It’s only 3 ingredients y’all. So easy. And you don’t need anything fancy (see my bootleg double boiler here).
What you need:
1/2 c shea butter (can also be substituted with cocoa butter and mango butter) I have never used mango butter but the shea butter is more nourishing to me than cocoa.
1/4 c jojoba oil
Essential oils (optional) Some that I like to use are DoTERRA’s Balance, Lavendar, Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Vanilla (or pure vanilla extract!)
1. Place all the butters into your mason jar, sitting in a pan of 1 inch of water. Let it boil until it’s a golden color liquid.
2. Remove from heat and let cool until it room temperature.
3. Place in the fridge overnight.
4. Let it revert back to room temperature. This time it will be a solid mass.
5. Scrape the mass of butters into a bowl and with your beaters, beat the mixture until it turns into this creamy goodness! I promise it takes everything not to dip your finger in there and take a lick! Especially if you decide to go with vanilla…
6. Add in about 5-8 drops of your essential oils if you are using them and beat again for a couple of minutes.
7. Store in an airtight container and it will keep for about 6 months.
This makes a WONDERFUL Christmas gift, just sayin’!